Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 7... My first hiking trip in VFFs

I recently took a trip to up-state New York to deliver my brother's "Super Bike." I drove out there in my little car, dropped off the bike and my car, then flew back with my bike on a plane. On the ten-hour drive, I wore my VFF's and felt nothing but comfort on such a long car trip.

The next day, my brother and I went for a bike ride on the rocky hills of West Point that left me bruised and out of energy. After the ride, we went on to the city of Cold Springs, which is home to Mt. Taurus (aka Bull Hill). A decent day hike-- Bull Hill has an elevation of 1,420 Ft (432.8 m).

This is where the VFF's really shine. On the way up, I felt like a little mountain goat-- hopping from rock to rock. I was able to get a grasp on some of the terrain that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to grasp with chunky hiking boots.



Mud, wet leaves and rigid rocks compiled a majority of the trail, and my VFF's really helped me stabilize myself. I surprisingly felt no pain maneuvering around on rocks, sticks and stones. We also encountered a large snake on the route, his name is Tubby.


On this hike, my shoes gained a lot more interest from random strangers than before. One of two gentlemen who were hiking up the hill alongside us, approached me and said, "I have a question for you... what in the world are those??" I explained-- only to leave him in a state of complete confusion. Other hikers along the route were screaming from different angles along the trail, "Hey! Do those really work!?" I'd scream back and say "I wouldn't hike without them!"

Little did I know that once we reached the top, coming back down was a different story! We made it to the top, and absorbed the view and all of its glory. The sun hadn't gone down completely, and its remaining glow filled the sky with rays that would put even the brightest light at Yankee Stadium to shame.



After taking a relaxing break filled with some insightful conversation between two siblings, we had to head back down the mountain. Biking then hiking, had left me a bit lazy toward the end of the day, so of course my legs were taking the easy way out of walking with stability. Somehow, the fortitude of protection formed by my VFFs became my house of pain, as every rock on the way down felt like a sharp edged sword sticking into my feet. How could this happen?



My ankles, my calves and my feet felt sore and weak as I was fumbling around trying to grasp the mountain trail. The wet leaves imitated someone pulling a rug from underneath me, as I slipped numerous times on their frictionless surface. By the time we got back to the car, I almost handed the keys off to my brother as I was fearsome that my feet would be too numb to control the gas and clutch pedals (there's really no need for brakes on the curvy roads of up-state New York).

By the time we got back to the hotel (a ten mile car-ride), the pain had completely disappeared and energy was the only thing I lacked. Perhaps the shoes require time for my legs to develop new walking habits?

The next day, my back was in pain to the point where I could not bend over with ease. We aren't sure if this has to do with walking near-barefoot on rocks and sticks, or if this is a result of biking on unfamiliar terrain. Either way, it only took until the next day to recover, and feeling the earth as I traversed up Bull Hill was worth the soreness for a day.

The only downside to wearing my VFFs on a hiking trip like this was that they became dirty (doing laundry is something I avoid like the plague).

One week later... my shoes are washed and I am ready to go about my every day journeys in these magical wonders we call Vibram Five Finger shoes!


In the village of Cold Springs the next day :)

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW! !!! What good looking kids ! I bet you look like your mother. LOL. Seriously, that's a very helpful blogg, keep us all informed, heck i might go get myself one.
    P.S. I love you kids!
    N.O.

    ReplyDelete