Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 2... "Uhh do those shoes have toes??"

Just a normal day at work... the dogs barking, the UPS man fighting them off, and me walking around with my VFFs. (And no, I don't work at a kennel, the owners of the company just like bringing their pups to work...)

The ground was a bit wet from the rain. I could feel a bit of a drizzle on the top of the shoe (the mesh upper), but the bottom was completely dry. To be honest, the cold ground was a bit numbing, but again, this shoe is supposed to simulate being barefoot.

The only downside to these shoes is that separating your toes allows for heat to be lost. When your fingers and toes rub up against each other they generate heat and keep you warm. When they are separated, that heat isn't generated. This is why mittens are warmer than gloves, and socks keep your feet warm.

While at work, "the Bulgarians" saw my shoes and became excited to see the new funny thing at work. "The Bulgarians" is the name I use to describe my co-workers Ivo and Gayla. Very nice people, they came to the US just a few years ago. Americans never cease to amuse them. Often times they cannot find words to describe their observations of the funny material goods that American's buy to their family members back home.

My co-worker Margot bought a pair of Sketchers, the ones that shape your legs apparently. Now we have a contest going... we are going to see which of our shoes shapes our legs better. The thing with the VFFs is that you develop a better muscular structure by running "barefoot." Your legs start moving just as they would have thousands of years ago before running shoes were invented.

By day two, most everyone at work has caught on to my new shoes. I caught one or two people staring, then looking away, unsure of what to say or how to react. I can't wait to start running in them...

1 comment:

  1. yay! let me know how they work out...I need a summer hiking shoe. could these be it??

    ReplyDelete